Sunday, July 1, 2012

GTAA Runway Run

Last Saturday, I ran the GTAA Runway 5K. I signed up for it with two of my co-workers. It was a first race for both of them.
IMG_0194

As the name implies, the run took place out on the Runway by the planes.
 IMG_0195
There were quite a few people and lots of families out (there was also a 2K walk).
The race started a bit late and it was super hot.
Being on a runway, the course was completely flat. It was an out and back and honestly, a bit boring. I need scenery. I so like the map from my Garmin:

runway
I had a goal of 35 minutes in mind and I managed to come in at 34:57 so super happy with that. My previous 5K PR was 36:23 so I met my spring goal of setting new PR’s for half marathon, 10K and 5K. Yay!
runway2
I’m super proud of my co-worker David. He quite smoking last August (after smoking for many many years), started running in March and ran his first 5K in 30 minutes.
IMG_0183
Overall, I enjoyed the Runway Run but I don’t think I’ll be doing it again. I’d rather save my money for longer races.
Things I liked:
  • Flat course!
  • Lots of food at the finish area
  • Great shirt and medal
IMG_0196

Things I didn’t like:
  • No water on course and it was super hot
  • Started late
  • Flat course= bit dull.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of this race and my friend ran it this year also. I always thougt it would be cool to run on the airport runway but what no water stations, in June? I wouldn't like that either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on all of your PR's this year! That's awesome! I find 5K's the hardest because you're balls to the wall for the whole race. That sucks that they had no water, I can only imagine how much hotter it was out on the runway with all of that blacktop! Not good! The medal is cute though!

    ReplyDelete