Friday, September 3, 2010

Toronto Women's 5K 2010

I had my first race on August 28th, 2010.

I wasn't feeling overly prepared. I did one 3K run the week prior and two weeks prior, I was in Vegas drinking too much and not excercising. Also, I didn't sleep very well the night before.
I followed some good advice from the web, and prepped all of my stuff the night before. The husband rented a car for the morning, so we didn't have to take the bus which was fantastic.
We got there nice and early. Was a bit chilly which makes for good running weather.
I brought my ipod with me so I could use my nike+ but I hadn't brought my ear phones as it was "strongly discouraged". But lots of people had earphones in so the husband was nice enough to let me borrow his. Need my tunes!

I was flipping nervous and stayed near the rear of the pack (36 minute+ category).

Once we got started, I got into a bit of a zone. I ran better than I ever have. I had no issues with my pacing, I wasn't panting. I wasn't concerned about the other runners. I ran more than I walked. I did get tired out on the last kilometre, but once I saw the finish line, I picked up the speed.

My overall goal was just to finish and I did. I was on such a high afterwards.
How'd I do?
Time: 41:48
Chip time: 41:26
Pace: 8:22
Category Pace (Women 30 - 39): 72/81
Gender Place: 236/263
I didn't come in last! Not a fast run, but not bad for a chick who was limping everywhere this time two years ago.
I thought about it later, and this was the first time that I voluntarily participated in a sporting event in my entire life!
Bring on the next race!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment