Saturday, September 25, 2010

Island Girl 5K

Couple of weeks ago, I participated in the Island Girl 5K on Toronto Island.
Morning was pretty chilly. Took the ferry over around 7:30. The race didn’t get underway until 8:45.
islandgirl3
(Yes, that’s me. Looking very incognito).
There was only 75 people or so doing the 5K. The Island Girl half marathon was starting after the 5K was done.
As per normal, I was pretty slow and near the back of the pack. It was fun running on the island. I didn’t feel like I was moving very quick though. I wasn’t feeling great for the entire run but I just wanted to do it and finish.
One thing I didn’t like about this race is that the route was open to the public. Which is fine when you’re getting passed by bikers and other runners, but at one point I had a truck behind me. Good incentive to run faster.
The finish line of this race was pretty cool. The half marathoners were lining the chute and cheering and clapping. I know they were cheering were everyone but it was a great push at the end. I saw the clock just over 40 minutes and thought “there’s no way I’m not finishing this race faster than the last” and booted it.

islandgirl1

Results:
Time: 40:31
Chip time: n/a (not sure why I didn’t get a chip time but it didn’t take me long to cross the start line)
Pace: 8:07
Place: 60/75

My time for my first race was 41:26 and my pace was 8:22 so I’ve improved! Yay!

0 comments:

Post a Comment